These are the minimum requirements for reasonable performance of the described products. They will help you decide whether the equipment you are currently using remains viable. If you are considering new equipment, bear in mind that these requirements are minimum, not optimal. Exceeding these specifications will in general lead to enhanced performance.
- CPU: an x86-32 or x86-64 compatible processor (Intel or AMD), minimal dual-core, recommended dual quad-core
- Memory: minimum 2GB RAM + 2GB per additional dispatcher
- Harddisk: An NTFS volume is required. The software takes about 20GB of disk space. Also take into account the need for storage of temporary and production data. A backup solution is strongly advised.
- Network: 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet, TCP/IP v4 protocol, TCP/IP v6 protocol is not supported.
- Video Card: Minimum 1280 x 1024 resolution, true color depth
- CD/DVD: DVD-ROM drive
- Virtualization : VMware ESX (version 3, 3.5, 4, 4.1 and 5) and Microsoft Hyper-V are supported.
Note that hardware connections, including dongles, proofers, spectrophotometers and others may work, but are not supported. Customers should verify hardware support through their virtualization support channels.
When you run software (with a local license server) on a virtual machine, the Esko license server (a process called “esko.exe”) might take up 100% of one of the virtual processors. This problem has been escalated to the third-party who provides the licensing engine, but currently we can only offer 2 workarounds:
- Reboot the virtual machine if this problem occurs.
- Move your Esko license server to another (and preferably physical) machine.
- Fileservers: All Esko applications running on Windows OS can use data that is available on network shares. These shares need to be on Windows or Unix/Linux (using SMB) file servers. We recommend to use Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2008 as file server. Mac OS X (version 10.5.x; 10.6.x, 10.7.x) data servers are also supported, but with limitations. These are standard limitations encountered when connecting to a Mac OS X server from Windows workstations or servers. They are related to losing resource forks of the MAC-application data when a Windows component moves or copies data.
- Compatibility: If you intend to run other applications as well on this hardware, make sure to check compatibility with the specifications of all other applications as well
- Remote Support: Esko Customer Support is using TeamViewer as a solution for remote access and support over the Internet, it can be downloaded from http://www.teamviewer.com/download/index.aspx
Operating Systems compatibility matrix:
32 bit 64 bit SP1 SP2 SP3 SP1 SP2 SP3 Home Edition NO NO NO NO Professional Edition NO NO NO YES NO NO NO NO
32 bit 64 bit SP1 SP2 SP1 SP2 Windows Vista Starter NO NO NO Windows Vista Home Basic NO NO NO NO NO NO Windows Vista Home Premium NO NO NO NO NO NO Windows Vista Business NO NO NO NO NO NO Windows Vista Enterprise NO NO NO NO NO NO Windows Vista Ultimate NO NO NO NO NO NO
32 bit 64 bit SP1 SP1 Windows 7 Home Basic NO NO NO NO Windows 7 Home Premium NO NO NO NO Windows 7 Professional YES YES YES YES Windows 7 Enterprise YES YES YES YES Windows 7 Ultimate YES YES YES YES
32 bit SP1 SP2 SP3 SP4 Windows 2000 Professional NO NO NO NO NO Windows 2000 Server NO NO NO NO NO Windows 2000 Advanced Server NO NO NO NO NO Windows 2000 Datacenter Server NO NO NO NO NO
Windows Server 2003
32 bit 64 bit SP1 SP2 SP1 SP2 Windows Server 2003 Standard YES YES YES* NO NO NO Windows Server 2003 Enterprise YES YES YES* NO NO NO Windows Server 2003 Datacenter YES YES YES* NO NO NO Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard YES YES* NO NO Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise YES YES* NO NO Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter YES YES* NO NO
Windows Small Business Server 2003 is not supported
Windows Server 2003 Web is not supported
Windows Server 2008
32 bit 64 bit SP2 SP2 Windows Server 2008 Standard YES YES* YES YES* Windows Server 2008 Enterprise YES YES* YES YES* Windows Server 2008 Datacenter YES YES* YES YES*
Windows Small Business Server 2008 is not supported
Windows Web Server 2008 is not supported
Windows Server 2008 HPC Edition is not supported
Windows Server 2008 R2
64 bit SP1 Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard YES* YES Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise YES* YES Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter YES* YES
Windows Small Business Server 2008 is not supported
Windows Server 2008 R2 Foundation is not supported.
Windows Web Server 2008 R2 is not supported
Windows Server 2008 R2 HPC Edition is not supported
* Recommended operating system.
- For more info about Windows memory limitation, please consult this table.
- Installing and using Esko software on a Terminal Services or Remote Desktop Services server (Microsoft, Citrix,…) is not supported, except for non-subscription versions of Cape Pack. You cannot run Esko software with local licenses via Remote Desktop.
- Although we don't expect issues with Microsoft OS patches, Esko only guarantees support on the official MS Service Pack (SP) level, not on individual OS patches. PC's for Esko applications (editors, rips or servers) must not be configured as WebServers (IIS), Network Domain Controllers (Active Directory), DNS Server, DHCP Server, WINS Server, SQL Server, or MailServer. The Automation Engine Server is allowed to be a Member Server in a Windows Active Directory domain. However, Esko can not test all possible configurations. Contact your regional Customer Service Center in case of specific questions.
- A single processor with hyperthreading enabled is considered as 2 processors for memory calculations. A dual core processor is considered as 2 processors for memory calculations.
- Esko software will only work with properly licensed versions of operating systems and other software. Esko is not responsible for any loss of functionality due to use with unlicensed software. Esko will not provide assistance in installing software on equipment lacking properly licensed software.
For more in-depth technical information, search our Knowledge Base.