This KB contains instructions about how to evaluate and install generic Esko
What are generic Esko
EPL files are customized with R&D tools and result in a better proof (due to the more uniform color space) compared to an
EPL created either manually or by EFI. The use of these
EPL files is mandatory in order to make a color accurate contract proof with Pack Proof!
This procedure exist out of two parts, an installation part and evaluation part.
Installation of the generic Esko
EPL files when using a v18.0 or older Esko Proof Server
|x900 - HT driver|
v14 Epson x900 1440_1440 ESKO standard
|IEP DVD (Esko Profiles installer) |
Alternative download link
|WT7900 - HT driver|
v14 Epson WT_7900 720_720 ESKO standard
IEP DVD (Esko Profiles installer)
v14 Epson WT_7900 1440_1440 ESKO standard
|SC-P50x0 / SC-P70x0 / SC-P90x0 - HT driver|
HDX Violet (CMYK-OGV) inkset
IEP DVD (Esko Profiles installer)
HDX (CMYK-OG) inkset
IEP DVD (Esko Profiles installer)
Follow these steps if you downloaded a zip file from this page:
- Unzip the archive.
- Open the proof client.
- Switch to the System Manager view.
- Go to Tools > Esko Proof Uploader menu (or press F7).
- Click the Media Profiles tab.
- Click the Choose button next to the Printer Linearization (EPL) field.
- Browse to the unzipped archive and select all the
- Click the Open button.
- Click the Upload button.
Now create a new output device (if not available) and follow these steps:
- Click the Device pane and select the HT driver for the available Epson model.
- Enter the IP address.
- Click the Media pane and select the correct ink type.
- Select the correct media name.
- v14 EPL files start with the prefix "v14".
- v16 EPL files use as media name "Esko Generic Media v16".
- Select a Normal-TAC or if available High-TAC EPL.
- Save the output device.
Use the following workflow settings in case you want to achieve higher print speeds:
- Select the workflow.
- Click the Workflow pane.
- select the Print bi-directional checkbox option.
With the print-head alignment procedure this can be compensated and corrected.
Installation of the
EPL files when using a v20.0 or higher Esko Proof Server
All generic Esko EPL files are installed when running the Esko Proof Server component.
You can also manually install them by running the ProofServerEPL hotfix from the \\Extra\Esko_Proof_Server_patches folder on the IEP DVD or use this: Alternative download link
New driver for the v20.0 Esko Proof Server:
|SC-P75x0 / SC-P95x0 - CT driver|
IEP DVD: part of the ProofServerEPL hotfix located in this folder
Alternative download link (This EPL is also included in the ProofServerEPL hotfix!)
IEP DVD: \\Extra\Epson_SC_Px5x0_Extra_Proofing_Print_Mode
Note that this EPL makes use of a Proofing Print Mode which is only available after installing an Esko Proof Server hotfix and the latest Epson firmware! Check below for the description of the complete installation and configuration process.
Using generic Esko EPL files:
Generic Esko EPL files become available after installing the Esko Proof Server component or after installing the ProofServerEPL hotfix.
Follow these steps to create a media & workflow using a generic Esko EPL file:
- Start the Fiery Command Workstation.
- Go to Server > Server Manager.
- Click the "+" icon to add a printer.
- Select the desired Manufacturer and Printer Type.
- Click the Next button.
- Enter the IP address of the printer (use the EpsonNet Config tool to find the IP address of the printer, this tool can be downloaded from the Epson website).
- Enable the Rip and print on the fly option.
- Click the Finish button to close the New Printer window.
- A new printer is added, select the Generic Media.
- Select the Media tab which is located at the right side of the newly created printer.
- Open the Media Configuration pane.
- Change the media name in the Media ID field.
- In the Media name drop-down list, select a media starting with "Esko". Try another Ink type if you don't see one!
- Select the desired generic Esko EPL file in the Resulting Calibration(s) option.
- Go to the Media Settings pane and choose the correct Source and Format.
- Select the Printer & Workflow Settings tab.
- Define a drying time when verification of the jobs is done (setup of the verification is done in the Proof for Contract Approval ticket).
- Click on the "+" icon to add a workflow
- Select the Custom radio button and as template Esko Proofing workflow
- Click on the Load button to close the Workflow Templates window
- Select the File tab which is located to the right side of the newly created workflow
- Open the Basic Information pane
- Change the workflow name in the Media field
- Go to the Printer tab and verify that the new Media (see previous "Media creation" procedure) is selected in the Media Associated pane
Installation of configuration process for the v20-1_P75x0CT-1200x1200_ProofingPrintMode EPL file
- Mount the IEP DVD and browse to the
\\Extra\Epson_SC_Px5x0_Extra_Proofing_Print_Modefolder or download the attached zip file
- Copy the
v20-1_P75x0CT-1200x1200_ProofingPrintMode.eplfile to this folder
x:\ProgramData\Esko\Esko Media Profiles
Install the Proof Server hotfix > 20210416_
Esko_Proof_20_Epson_SC_P7500_9500_Addon.exe(requires a restart of the PC)This hotfix will add a new "1200 x 1200 dpi/Proofing" print mode which is used by the v20-1_P75x0CT-1200x1200_ProofingPrintMode.epl file!
- Check if the latest Epson firmware is installed, if not download the firmware from the Epson website.
- Select the EPL in the Fiery Command Workstation (check above section "Media Creation")
Use the following settings for the best (sharpest) result:
Media tab > Media Configuration pane > Print Mode > 1200 x 1200 dpi/Proofing
Media tab > Media Configuration pane > Print direction > Switch to unidirectional
Printer & Workflow Settings tab > Special Settings pane > Paper Edge Quality > Optimize media edge print quality
In the Proof for Contract Approval ticket enable the "Fine Line Rendering" option in the Output tab.
Please download one of the following PDFs. These provide the necessary fields and elements for the evaluation of the
For the EPSON SC-P50x0 / SC-P70x0 / SC-P90x0 devices with HDX Violet (CMYK-OGV) inkset:
For the EPSON x900, WT7900 and SC-P50x0 / SC-P70x0 / SC-P90x0 devices with HDX (CMYK-OG) inkset:
For the EPSON SC-P75x0 / SC95x0 devices with EPSON UltraChrome PRO 12 (CMYK) inkset:
For the evaluation of this chart, set the drying time of your output device to 0 minutes to be able to inspect the printout immediately after printing.
Upload this PDF in the Job Explorer panel (drag and drop after selecting the correct workflow or press Ctrl+O)
Inspect the page immediately after printing. In case you see the effect of overinking pictured on the below examples, you may try using an EPL designated for lower quality paper (Normal-TAC or Low-TAC) or install a better quality paper and restart the evaluation process.
To the left and right a gray object is printed to evaluate and detect banding. Consult the printer documentation and search for the procedure to perform a print head alignment when banding is detected.
FlexProofE all versions
Pack Proof all versions